Thursday, February 22, 2007

Galatians II



GALATIANS II


I HAVE A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH PAUL
I FIND HIM TIRING
BOASTFUL
ALWAYS RIGHT

SAY GOOD MORNING
HE GIVES YOU A LECTURE
ON THE WEATHER

BUT CAPABLE
OF AN INCANDESCENT BEAUTY
OF LANGUAGE

SO WHEN HE SAYS
I WITHSTOOD CEPHAS
TO HIS FACE
I IMMEDIATELY
THOUGHT
OF LUTHER’S ADMONITION

We should fear and love God that we may not deceitfully belie, betray, slander, or defame our neighbor, but defend him, [think and] speak well of him, and put the best construction on everything.

I FURTHER THOUGHT
HE’S TALKING OUT OF BOTH SIDES
OF HIS MOUTH
FOR IN ROMAN’S HE SAID

If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love


AND IN CORINTHIANS HE SAID


Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall


SO IF CEPHAS
IS FOLLOWING PAUL
IS ACTING OUT OF CHARITY
I FIND PAUL AT FAULT

BUT CEPHAS
WITH PAUL’S FINGER IN HIS FACE
HOW DOES HE ACT

THIS POOR DUMB FISHERMAN
THIS POOR DUMB EVERYMAN

HE LISTENS
HE DOES NOT REACT ANGRILY
HE LISTENS AND AGREES
NO LOUD ARGUMENTS
OF BEING RIGHT

THOUGH HE'D RATHER
PAUL
HAD HEEDED
THE MASTER’S VOICE
WHEN HE SAID

If your brother sins, reprove him in private


FRANK A VOLLMER

No comments: